Help revert from KDE4

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Mar 8 04:43:57 UTC 2008

KDE >>"Start"

(...)

 > > And isn't that one HELL of an advert for stupidity too!.
 > >
 > > And yes, it is....thankfully I have my data separated but it still
takes a
 > > chunk of time, and now I have to re-update and install a
whack-o-crap...

 >Well, you're a bit too nervous. You installed a development version,
 >guess you made a backup beforehand.
 >I'll spell it out, d-e-v-e-l-o-p-m-e-n-t version.

I'm not nervous, I'm bloody mad. I did not *choose* to install a
developement version. Fedora 8 added the 'fedora-developement' repo to
yum.repos.d. That sis not happen in Fedora 7. THEN, Fedora 8 appears to
have automagically done a global update, although I did not ask for
that. I was install a particular package for mplayer and used the -y
switch. Fedora decided it needed 75 packages updated. I wasn't really
watching as I did not suspect that I would be updated into crap.

Besides the utter stupidity of an install/upgrade methodology which is
irreversable, KDE 4 is not yet ready for prime time.

I have since been able to confirm that Fedora now includes the dev repo
as it was created/installed by default on the re-install...and I now
have another case of library hell underway and will have to nuke the
beast and start again, again. Because if ONE important file gets updated
you cannot revert it out without removing the 40 packages which depend
on it.

And no I didn't 'make a backup beforehand'. How could I reasonably make
a backup of the entire OS? As it is, my data is on separate partitions.
Nuking the / partition is no problem. The waste of time to reinstall is
the problem.
Geoff