how to resize/grow an existing partition

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Mar 8 13:30:23 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 12:54 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Isn't this precisely the reason that the system defaults to installing
>> on LVM now?  The old-school way would have been to create a new
>> partition and filesystem in the new space and mount it as /home or
>> something.  I thought the point of LVM was that you could grow it - and
>> then the filesystem(s) it contains more or less non-destructively.
>
> LVM would help if you wanted to add a drive, but doesn't help (in this
> case) if you want to replace a drive.

Couldn't you add the unused space on the drive to the LVM volume
just like you would add a second drive? I would not consider it the
best way to move to a larger drive, but I can't see any reason it
wouldn't work. You might run into problems because of using dd to
copy the MBR from the old drive because the partition table would be
set for the old drive size, but that is another story.

Mikkel