Help revert from KDE4

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Mar 8 15:02:20 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I'm not nervous, I'm bloody mad.

Then calm down and remind yourself that you haven't paid anyone for
the software you're using.  And that many other folks are using it
just fine without the hassle you seem to have run into.

> I did not *choose* to install a developement version.

Then you've run into some really strange bug that most of us have
never seen.  The development repo does not get enabled by default.  It
requires you to manually enable it by editing that file or using the
GUI tools to do the same.

> Fedora 8 added the 'fedora-developement' repo to yum.repos.d. That
> sis not happen in Fedora 7.

Yes, it did.  The file is there and is simply not enabled in F7, just
as it is in F8.

> THEN, Fedora 8 appears to have automagically done a global update,
> although I did not ask for that. I was install a particular package
> for mplayer and used the -y switch. Fedora decided it needed 75

BING!  That's pretty poor admin practice.  And then you come here and
bitch about stupidity?  (Sorry if I pause and chuckle a little bit.)

> Besides the utter stupidity of an install/upgrade methodology which
> is irreversable, KDE 4 is not yet ready for prime time.

And that's why it is only available in rawhide (the development repo).
If you can prove that you've found a bug that enables the development
repo without your intervention, then please file it.  Otherwise, it
seems entirely likely that you have somehow enabled that repository.

> I have since been able to confirm that Fedora now includes the dev
> repo as it was created/installed by default on the re-install...

The development repo is included but not enabled by default.  If you
are seeing different behavior than that, please take the time to
document how to reproduce it.  I've done numerous installs of F8 and
have never seen the development repo enabled on any of them.

A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that nature
replaces it with.
    -- Tennessee Williams