How to make the Installer add packages after fresh installation

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sat Mar 8 23:43:42 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:
> Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > I just freshly installed F8 (February respin) and during installation
> > I added & subtracted the packages/package groups I wanted during the
> > package choosing phase.  Unfortunately, some package conflict caused
> > the installer to barf and exit prematurely.
> >
> > So I tried to install but just installed the default system.
> > (I.e., I took the default package choices.)
> >
> > Now I'd like to go back and use the same interface to (again) choose
> > the packages I want and "upgrade" the system.  However the installer
> > just skips the "package choosing" phase when I choose "upgrade" on the
> > existing system.
> >
> > Is there a way to get the installer to do what I want?
>

> Why don't you use the 'Install & Remove Software' option from the menu for
> this?

I'm not seeing this option.
Maybe more detail is needed.
I did a network install by booting off a Rescue DVD.
The options I see when it comes up are:

  Install or upgrade an existing system
  Install or upgrade an existing system (text mode)
  Rescue installed system
  Boot from local drive
  Memory test

"Install & Remove Software" does not ever appear (or I missed it) when
I choose the 1st option above.  At some point, after answering several
questions, entering the NFS server and directory, and a _long_ wait,
the installer brings up a nice graphical interface which gives me two
Radio Buttons:

   Install Fedora
   Upgrade an Existing installation

If I choose the first, it leads to stuff that looks like it will
overwrite the existing (freshly installed) system.

Here's a blow-by-blow if I choose the second option:

I get two more options:

  Upgrade Fedora Core 5 (/dev/sda1)
  Upgrade Fedora 8      (/dev/sdb9)

I choose the 2nd, which is the freshly installed system to that I want
to add/subtract packages using the installer's interface

I now get 3 more Radio Buttons:

  Update Boot loader configuration
  Skip boot loader updating
  Create New Bootloader configuration

I choose the 2nd and a popup says:

    Retrieving Installation Information

Then it says "Click next to begin upgrade of Fedora"

Then another Popup appears for about 1 microsecond :-) followed
by another which says

    Performing post upgrade configuration

Then I get:

  Congratuations, the installation is complete.
  Press the "Reboot" button to reboot your system.

Something of a let-down, I must say.

What am I doing wrong?

Dean