****Re: Help revert from KDE4

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Mar 9 04:01:01 UTC 2008

Subject: Re: ****Re: Help revert from KDE4 To: For users of Fedora
<fedora-list at redhat.com> Message-ID:
<1204963483.8707.34.camel at iam.wayward4now.net> Content-Type: text/plain
On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 22:02 -0700, Craig White wrote:

 > > it's included but not enabled by default
 > > enabled=0
 > > each is clearly labeled this way.
 > > But in reality, this shouldn't be that big of a deal to go to
 > > runlevel 3, remove KDE-4, disable development if you enabled it,
and > > install kde all over again.

 >I just peeked into my updates email folder and KDE4 is available
 >through updates without the dev repo being used at all.
 >Update Information:

 >This updates the KDE 4 development platform to the stable
 >release 4.0.0 and Soprano to the stable release 2.0.0 (required
 >by KDE 4.0.0).

 >So, it's considered a stable release, resides in updates and if
 >something decided that KDE4 is a dependency, it'll get dragged in. So,
 >if he installed Soprano or something that depends on it, he would have
 >gotten KDE4. Which may have not gotten all three packages installed if
 >a mistake was made. Maybe when he tries to yum remove it, he'll spot
what the cat drug in. I'd like to hear about that. I guess he might very
 >well have a beef and chewing the carpet would be a understandable
reaction!
 >It would be in my world, Ric

I'm not at that machine, but KDE4 being available in updates co=uld
explain how it ended up being installed. Because I did NOT enable
development on that machine. I changed nothing in the repos.d folder
except to add atrpms, and livna.

Interestingly, I don't remember ever touching the dev repo file on this
laptop, but it IS enabled...and I think I would remember changing that.
Luckily, that repo was moved to a different subfolder at some early
point (something to do with livna iirc)

In any event, I re-installed already... and promptly ran into the same
sort of stupid crap.. following the install, I tried to do the usual
update and it failed...File not available...Seems that libhunspell has
been upgraded but lots of stuff which requires the OLD version are still
around...and you can't remove the new hunspell without removing 27 or 30
packages.

Fedora-updates is NOT enabled by default on my laptop. The problem
really is fedora-development.repo which IS enabled.

Geoff