wicd - better wireless network manager than NetworkManager?

yonas Abraham yabraham2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 16:47:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> Chris Mohler wrote:
>
>  > On my hardware wicd outperforms NetworkManager - no question.  I'm pretty
>  > sure that my case is ultimately a hardware issue, but in *any* case it
>  > would be nice to have an alternate wifi manager that works (better)
>  > when NM refuses to work (well).
>
>  What is your hardware?
>  Are you running Fedora-8?
>
>  I looked at <http://wicd.sourceforge.net/>
>  and found rather complicated instructions
>  for installing under Fedora-7,
>  at <http://wicd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fedora>.
>
>  Has anyone actually installed wicd under Fedora-8?
>
>  I was slightly put off by the statement that wicd
>  works with both wired and wifi connections.
>
>  Personally, I have never, ever, had any problem
>  with ethernet connections,
>  and definitely do not want to run any program
>  which will try to "improve" on this.
>
>  One of my main complaints about NetworkManager
>  is that the developers should concentrate on getting it to work
>  with as many WiFi devices as possible,
>  and not concern themselves with Ethernet or Bluetooth,
>  at least until NM is working on all WiFi devices
>  that do work under Linux.
>
>  I want a WiFi program which gives reasonably helpful error messages
>  if the connection fails,
>  preferably better than the standard Linux advice,
>  "Is your cable connected?".
>
>  It's difficult to say whether NM or system-config-network
>  is worse in this regard.
>  Can one expect wicd to be any better?
>

>  --
>  Timothy Murphy
>  e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
>  tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
>  s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
>
>  --

I have adopted the f7 instruction for f8 and wicd verstion 1.4.2 and
beed using in F8 since the release of F8, it works far better for me
for my  R60 laptop. The only problem is the SELinux issue.  I disable
it anyway.

I had a plan to submit my rpm for review but, the app by default
installes to /opt and  rpmlint complain about it. I have a patch to
make it to install to /usr/share/wicd but didn't get a chance to
sumbitted it yet. May be one day.

/yonas