Computer can't boot after update to kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8 !

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 19:24:10 UTC 2008

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 07:13:16PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:54:45 +0100, Mikael Larsson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, my computer won't boot after updating to the new 2.6.24.3-12.fc8
>>> kernel. It complains (after 2 minute timeout) about not finding any of
>>> my local partitions.
>>> Anyone else having problems ?
>> No. Here those updates killed my network connections by renaming the ifcfg
>> files to *.bak.
>
> I've seen this before, but didn't investigate. I didn't think that the
> kernel update was causing it. Why does that happen?

Kernel updates should not have been messing with those files, so something that
changed from the kernel update caused one of the configuration utilities to
rename the files.

Are there any config utils in the rc scripts that would do this if the order of
the network devices changed?

I know I tend to turn off kudzu because it has a habit of trying to help, and
actually making mess of things.

                   Roger