Mess in network

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:54:48 UTC 2008

Antonio M wrote:
> 2008/3/10, pursley1 at netscape.net <pursley1 at netscape.net>:
>>

>> Unfortunately -
>>     1) We don't know which updated component is messing up the network
>>  connection.
> from the list of updated component we should reduce the hunt
>
>>     2) I'm relatively new to Fedora (but not Linux) and so I don't know
>>  where to file bugs anyway.
>
> bugzilla.redhat.com is the place.
>
>>     3) Since it only did it on 1 of my 2 computers, it seems to be some
>>  problem dependent on the hardware...or luck.
>>

> I assumed long ago that there is no luck or magic in software.... :-)

It became magic when the kernel started detecting devices in parallel so
the names are essentially randomized.  The ethN devices are supposed to
be sorted out and renamed before activation if you have the ethernet
hardware address in the corresponding
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethN file.  Run 'ifconfig' and be
sure the hwaddr matches what is in your file for each nic.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com