NetworkManager 0.7 and static IP - how ?!?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 10 22:44:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:33:21 -0400
"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

> *OR* you tell your laptop to *NOT* use DHCP for the ethernet interface,
> and configure your static address using system-config-network.

I think you would then lose the benefit of using Network Manager.  It's easiest
(in my opinion) to let Network Manager handle all network connections on a
laptop that moves around from place to place.

>  This may
> ultimately involve using some sort of network profiles if your static
> address at home differs from your static address at work.

Again, Network Manager will do all of the dirty work for you, if you just set
up your dhcp server to provide a static address to your machine if it's
required.