NetworkManager 0.7 and static IP - how ?!?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Mar 10 23:25:44 UTC 2008

Frank Cox wrote:

> I think you would then lose the benefit of using Network Manager.  It's
> easiest (in my opinion) to let Network Manager handle all network
> connections on a laptop that moves around from place to place.

I seem to be in a small minority,
but I completely disagree with this.

I have never, ever, had any problem connecting to any ethernet LAN
(where I had permission to connect).
I don't see any point in NM interfering in this.
I would be much happier if NM (or wicd) concentrated on
establishing a reliable WiFi connection with as wide a range
of WiFi devices as possible.

In fact, I would like to hear that if any WiFi device
works with any version of Linux
then it will work with NM or wicd.

Secondly, I would like any WiFi program to be as transparent as possible,
so that one can discover (if desired) exactly what is happening,
or failing to happen.
At present, it is very difficult to diagnose if any problem arises
in the WiFi device itself, in the client software,
or on the server side.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366