NetworkManager 0.7 and static IP - how ?!?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Tue Mar 11 05:07:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 16:29 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:21:10 -0400
> Rick Bilonick <rab at nauticom.net> wrote:
>
> >  How do I get the
> > static IP address using Network Manager/nm-applet given the dhcp daemon
> > is not running?
>
> You tell you dhcp server to give a static address to your mac address upon
> request.  That's set up on your dhcp server, NOT on your laptop.
>
> > (I have no dhcpd.config because the daemon has not been
> > started. AFAIK, there is no reason for my laptop to be providing dhcp
> > connections.)
>
> Right.  This stuff is set up on the machine (router, whatever) that provides
> your dhcp service, NOT on the client.  The client requests an address, the dhcp
> server provides one.  Instruct the dhcp server to always provide the same
> address to your mac address and ta-da!
>
> --

Someone is confused here. I have no control over the ethernet wired
network I want to connect to. It wants me to use a fixed IP address in
order to be able access certain things available on the network (they
are NOT available if I let DHCP assign a random IP address to my
laptop). I've typically used system-config-network to set the laptop's
IP address. The problem is that NetworkManager / nm-applet want to
connect either to the wireless network or they want to just use DHCP to
connect to the wired network. NetworkManager / nm-applet will happily
connect to the wired network (now as of the latest update the other day)
but insists on requesting the DHCP server on the wired network to
provide an IP. This doesn't help me much as the resources I need to
connect with require the static IP address I've been assigned.

This all used to work seamlessly under Fedora 6. The laptop would
connect automatically to the wireless network at home and the wired
network with fixed IP address at work. It only stopped working when I
installed (not upgraded) to Fedora 8 from Fedora 6.

Rick B.