NetworkManager 0.7 and static IP - how ?!?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Tue Mar 11 05:14:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 16:44 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:33:21 -0400
> "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>
> > *OR* you tell your laptop to *NOT* use DHCP for the ethernet interface,
> > and configure your static address using system-config-network.
>
> I think you would then lose the benefit of using Network Manager.  It's easiest
> (in my opinion) to let Network Manager handle all network connections on a
> laptop that moves around from place to place.
>
> >  This may
> > ultimately involve using some sort of network profiles if your static
> > address at home differs from your static address at work.
>
> Again, Network Manager will do all of the dirty work for you, if you just set
> up your dhcp server to provide a static address to your machine if it's
> required.
>
> --

The problem is that Network Manager / nm-applet don't work well with a
wired network wanting a fixed static IP address (at least under Fedora
8). It used to work fine under Fedora 6. In my case, the wired network
already wants me to use a fixed IP address for my laptop. It's just that
Network Manager / nm-applet under Fedora 8 (now as of the latest update)
always wants the wired network to supply a random IP address via DHCP.
How do I get NetworkManager / nm-applet to just use the fixed IP address
I've been assigned? It shouldn't be this complicated! (If I turn off
NetworkManager, kill wpa_supplicant and nm-applet, then the laptop will
connect to the wired network using the static IP address I've been
assigned. I just shouldn't have go through all the trouble every day to
connect at the office. It worked perfectly under Fedora 6.)

Rick B.