set default application

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 11 07:21:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 02:38 -0400, arunbkn at aol.in wrote:
> Recently I have again loaded the Openoffice.org on my fc8 pc.
> But I double click on any *.odt file it gives me following error
>
> Cannot open shift timings.odt
> The filename "shift timings.odt" indicates that this file is of type
> "ODT document". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of
> type "Java Archive". If you open this file, the file might present a
> security risk to your system.

It wasn't OpenOffice.org that you had problems with, it was the system
Nautilus uses to tell which files are which types.  OpenOffice.org's
documents, and Java archive files, and a few other things, are actually
zip archive files containing what you're interested in (your document,
etc).  Nautilus seems to have trouble telling them all apart, and when
some installed application stomps the system and says that *it* gets
those file types, default applications for anything to do with zip
archived files may get changed around.

> Than I have to choose "open with" option to open with word processor,
> Is there any way I can set word processor as default application
> of .odt files ?

Pick on an odt file, in Nautilus (the Gnome file browser), open the file
properties, and pick your default application, or add what you want if
it's not in the list.

Of course, now, you *might* be unable to double-click a Java archive,
and have it do what you want.  Likewise for double-clicking on a ZIP
archive file.  Nautilus seems a bit flakey at having different defaults
for different uses of ZIP archived material.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.