2.6.24.3-12.fc8 kernel dies with wireless?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Mar 11 13:35:31 UTC 2008

Knute Johnson wrote:

> The new 2.6.24.3-12.fc8 kernel will lock up the computer if I plug in
> my Linksys USB wireless device.  The device is a WUSB54GC and worked
> flawlessly with the previous kernel.  There are no messages that I
> can find, the computer will not respond to the mouse, although you
> can move it around, when the device is plugged in.  This is about the
> weirdest thing I've seen.  F8 i386 on a Pentium D.

Which driver are you using?
I had this experience with the orinoco_usb driver.
Compiling the latest version and re-installing the firmware
stopped the crashes in my case.

It is interesting that this is the only thing
that has actually crashed a Linux system in my experience
for at least 5 years.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366