Installation Crash with 4GB

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 11 15:25:24 UTC 2008

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> rgheck wrote:
>> After installing successfully, I foolishly put the 4GB back in, and I
>> seem to have ended up with tons of other problems---programs crash,
>> prelink won't run, etc, etc---so now I'm re-installing again. Looks as
>> if this might be a kernel problem?
>
> For me, it looks like you have a hardware/memory problem.
>
> Try running memtest for a couple of days when all RAM has
> been installed.
>
> Mogens

I agree.  I just installed F8 on an AMD system with 4G and just updated
to 8G.

I do recommend that you check the make of ram and make sure it is
compatible with our motherboard.  I have an ASUS M2M32 motherboard and
the ram was an issue.  I was having a hard time to find memory that was
certified for the board.  One brand was discontinued.  Make sure that
the BIOS settings for timing are correct for your type of RAM.

I read the reviews and most of the issues were solved by using certified
RAM.  Not that easy when looking for 4gig kits.

I thought all RAM was the same but it isn't.

I also read that is is advisable to check for the latest BIOS from ASUS.
--
Robin Laing