sendmail/mail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:27:45 UTC 2008

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
> This is true, but "localhost.localdomain" won't work.
>
> The only thing I did in sendmail.cf, after finding it in one of those
> user forums, is change
>
> O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA
> O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp, Name=MTA
> and restart sendmail

This lets your sendmail accept connections from outside to receive mail.
  I thought your problem was that you were trying to send, but the
remote was rejecting your invalid domain name.  You need 2 valid
addresses for internet email, one for the destination and one for the
sender.

> The first way was rejecting all mail.  They even gave us some smtp
> address (smtp.company.net)
> but that got rejected too.

Many ISPs require you to forward email through their relay instead of
connecting directly to destination servers for delivery, and many, if
not most destinations will reject direct connections from home-type
cable or dsl endpoints because there is so much spam from them.  See the
SMART_HOST entry in your sendmail.mc if you need to let your ISP forward
for you.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com