Help revert from KDE4

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 12 18:06:52 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury <newbury <at> mandamus.org> writes:
> "But the updates in the stable updates you pointed to are NOT the ones
> which caused that. Your KDE 4 must be coming from Rawhide (development)
> or kde-redhat unstable."
>
> No longer true.

Do you know who you're replying to?

I built and/or pushed most of the updates you're seeing there:
> If you look at any of the update mirrors, such as
>    http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386
> you will find kdebase4, kdelibs4 and kdebase-runtime (4.0.1...etc). I
> suppose those *were* in dev, but are no longer (February 20th)

So you should really trust me to _know_ what's in them!!!

Those updates do NOT replace your KDE 3 installation. Your packages which did
replace it came from Rawhide (or maybe kde-redhat unstable or some other
unstable repository I don't know about).

> As far as I am aware the repo mplayer rpms are not xvmc enabled
> (leastways, they have never run with '-vo xvmc -vc ffmpegmc' (whatever)
> for me). And you still need faac, faad, lame etc. *and their devel
> packages* to compile mplayer. That is what I was trying to do. And that
> is ALL I was trying to do.

And I think here's your mistake: *-devel packages are in the _REGULAR_
repository! The Fedora, Livna etc. "development" repositories are _NOT_
repositories to get -devel packages for the stable distribution from, they are
the development (unstable) version ("Rawhide") of the distribution! So if you
checked the "Development" repositories in the Software Installer (pirut),
that's how you screwed up your system.

> 5.      Not all packages on the mirrors are properly signed and
> authenticated, which causes some installs or updates to fail improperly
> (especially as those packages can be manually installed with the "Softwa
> re Installer".

Rawhide packages are usually not signed, because they are not intended for end
users to install.

        Kevin Kofler