Remote XWindows

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 03:23:19 UTC 2008

Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> Dumb beginner question here.  What is the best software to use to set
> up an SSH X-Windows session?
>
> I am doing well with putty but have hit a point where I need to bring
> up my browser in a remote session..
>
> Mike D.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve.
With ssh, you can run this to execute the application remotely but have
it displayed locally:
$ ssh -Y <remote_host> <application>

If you want it to be displayed remotely as well, you'll want to look
into VNC

Also, maybe you want to run the application locally but use remote user
profile. Then you can map remote path to a local directory with sshfs
and point the local application to the data (it will appear to any
application as if it were local).

HTH