Remote XWindows

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 04:29:17 UTC 2008

Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>>> Dumb beginner question here.  What is the best software to use to
>>> set up an SSH X-Windows session?
>>>
>>> I am doing well with putty but have hit a point where I need to
>>> bring up my browser in a remote session..
>>>
>>> Mike D.
>>>

>> Depends on what you're trying to achieve.
>> With ssh, you can run this to execute the application remotely but
>> have it displayed locally:
>> $ ssh -Y <remote_host> <application>
>>
>> If you want it to be displayed remotely as well, you'll want to look
>> into VNC
>>
>> Also, maybe you want to run the application locally but use remote
>> user profile. Then you can map remote path to a local directory with
>> sshfs and point the local application to the data (it will appear to
>> any application as if it were local).
>>

>> HTH
>>

> I have been thinking VNC.  My problem is I travel a lot and have to
> manage a couple of applications that use x-windows control panels for
> my wife's business and am looking for the most efficient way.
>
> I can do it quite well if I am home but am looking for the best
> solution for remote.  Sigh I guess I am going to have to dig into VNC.
>
> Mike D.

Again, if you don't need the applications to be displayed on the actual
machine where they run, ssh -Y is a very robust solution. I've ran many
applications  - e.g. text editors, control panels, even gparted (disk
partitioning software) and all worked without a hitch and were very
fast. The best part is that ssh is already there :)

Remote desktop VNC (a la windows VNC) is very slow because it needs to
send a video stream back and forth. "Traditional" VNC is annoying/hard
to set up; most of the time it's just not worth the effort.