Install question #1 - repository location

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 13 07:19:50 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> As a comparison, I found an install from RPM files on a hard drive
>> (local, or network), did a complete basic install in a bit over 15
>> minutes.  But, the process often took over an hour if I used optical
>> media.

Bill Davidsen:
> Either you did a minimal install or something else is happening, I
> typically see double that, although my typical install has a LOT of
> optional stuff in it. But this is all network install on a virtually
> unloaded server with Gbit switched connection.

No, not minimal, just the default workstation sort of install (the usual
applications, for a graphical desktop).  It's varied a bit from that
depending on the hardware, some were around 15-20 minutes of installing,
some were up to 30 minutes.  There's some processing overhead, as well
as drive/network speed issues (my network's 10/100, and I don't recall
my drive speeds, but it's UDMA66 or 100 on these machines).

I found that I spend ages browsing through the choices of what you can
install, or opt out of installing.  That wastes a lot of time, and even
more so when you find that some of your choices undo what you'd already
de/selected.  Or worse, the install bombs out with some of your choices.

Then, on top of that, I find that post install, you do an awful lot of
updating.  So I figured a basic install, then adding in extras after
booting into an installed system was wasting less time (you install
additional programs from the latest versions, rather than install old
versions then update them straight away).  The last three or four
installations have proved me right, at least for how my systems are set
up.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.