How to install Apache Source after Fedora Instal

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Mar 13 10:00:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 13:45:35 -0400,
  John  BORIS <jboris at adphila.org> wrote:
> I installed Fedora 8 and the Apache Server but forgot to install the
> Apache Source files. I need to install them. Is there a how to for this.
> I did a yum install httpd-devel but that didn't install what I needed.
> It should have created a directory /etc/httpd/build but it didn't.  Any
> pointers would be appreciated.

devel packages using provide things (such as header files) used to build
(compile) things that will link to the base package's application or library.
You want the source rpm if you want to build using what Fedora uses. This
will include a base tarball and any Fedora specific patches. You can use
rpmbuild to build rpms which you can then install. For just adding a patch
or two, this may be the best way to go. If you want to track upsteam source,
then you should probably use upstream's build process (and get detailed
installations instructions there).