Using Wireless without NetworkManager

Srikanth Konjarla srikanth.konjarla at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:47:04 UTC 2008

Assuming the driver is loaded and your network interface shows up. For
example,

# ifconfig

The above command would list active interfaces and the wireless
interface would show up as eth1.

# iwconfig eth1 scan

Will show all the available SSIDs

# iwconfig eth1 essid "<SSID>"

Replace <SSID> with the SSID that you wish to connect to.

# iwconfig

The above would show the details about your wireless interface and can
be determined if your wireless interface is actually associated to the
Access Poing. Once successfully, associated (you will be able to see the
hardware ID for AP).

# dhclient eth1

The above is to obtain the DHCP IP address.

Srikanth