Fedora 8 java question

Knute Johnson knute at frazmtn.com
Thu Mar 13 16:37:34 UTC 2008

>Hi List;
>
>I've run into a snag with Fedora 8 and I'm not sure I have even enough info to
>share to get some help, but I figure it's worth a shot:
>
>- I'm currently working with a client where I need remote VPN access. They use
>a java based utility via a "NETGEAR ProSafe SSL VPN Concentrator 25 SSL312"
>device. I was quite pleased to find that with Fedora 7 when I clicked the
>java 'install/setup' icon the VPN just worked.
>
>However, I decided to upgrade to Fedora 8 and the VPN stopped working.
>My "Upgrade" to Fedora 8 was a new clean install. I did find that the java
>plugin in my fedora 7 install was using version 6 update 2 and my fedora 8
>install was using version 7 (not sure of the build).
>
>With version 7, once I click the install/run icon I get a new small firefox
>window which tells me it's connecting and then it displays a connect &
>disconnect button (with the connect greyed out since at that point I'm
>connected.  However with Fedora 8 I get the window but nothing ever displays
>in it just a blank window.
>
>Thoughts ?
>
>Thanks in advance....

Looks like you had Sun Java installed on F7.  F8 comes with icedtea
which is an open source of the upcoming version 7.  It is missing
some things but I don't know if that is your problem.  You can
install Sun's java and try it.  I posted a web page with instructions
for installing and configuring Sun Java on F8.

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

--

Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...