Thinkpad T61p with Nvidia graphics

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Mar 13 22:35:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 21:24 +0000, Jose Celestino wrote:
> Words by kevin at kevinkempterllc.com [Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:57:01PM -0600]:
> > Hi List;
> >
> > I may pick up a Thinkpad with an Nvidia graphics card later today. Anything
> > I need to do special for Fedora 7/8 to get the Nvidia card to work/install.
> > Tried this on an hp awhile back and had lots of grief
> >

> Install in text mode and remember *NOT* to set the SATA mode do
> compatibility, unlike found on many ubuntu install pages it is not
> needed for F8.

You should also be able to install in vesa mode.  I believe at the first
installer splash screen, you enter "linux vesa".

With the original F8 spin, my T61 nVidia did not Just Work after
install.  It works with the vesa driver (except that the backlight never
goes off), and it works with the nv driver after fully updating (modulo
a couple of issues like suspend).  It works well with the latest nvidia
drivers from Livna (including suspend to RAM, but not hibernate).

> Everything else works pretty much out of the box. And is fast as hell.
> Could just be a little lighter and have a bit more of autonomy (3h is
> not enough) but i'm still tweaking the power mgmt bits (got mine
> yesterday).

Three hours is all I've been able to get with the 6-cell battery.  If
you discover anything magic, I'd like to know.  Thanks.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs