Thinkpad T61p with Nvidia graphics

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Fri Mar 14 04:55:26 UTC 2008

Words by kevin at kevinkempterllc.com [Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 03:32:19PM -0600]:
> Quoting Jose Celestino <japc at co.sapo.pt>:
>
>> Words by kevin at kevinkempterllc.com [Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:57:01PM -0600]:
>>> Hi List;
>>>
>>> I may pick up a Thinkpad with an Nvidia graphics card later today. Anything
>>> I need to do special for Fedora 7/8 to get the Nvidia card to work/install.
>>> Tried this on an hp awhile back and had lots of grief
>>>

>> Install in text mode and remember *NOT* to set the SATA mode do
>> compatibility, unlike found on many ubuntu install pages it is not
>> needed for F8.
>>
>> Everything else works pretty much out of the box. And is fast as hell.
>> Could just be a little lighter and have a bit more of autonomy (3h is
>> not enough) but i'm still tweaking the power mgmt bits (got mine
>> yesterday).
>>

> Thanks for the feedback, a couple more questions:
>
> 1) after a text based install will the Nvidia card 'just work' after the
> reboot ?  Do I need to ensure that I install any specific packages for the
> Nvidia card to work?

You should install kmod-nvidia + xorg-x11-dev-nvidia from livna
repo.

> Also I'm not sure I know what (or how to set) the SATA mode to
> compatability, is this a boot parameter ?

I said *NOT* to set it to compatibility :) NOT to. Because you may have
done that as I did after following some googling and then find yourself
puzzled because the fedora install hangs.

--
Jose Celestino
http://www.msversus.org/     ; http://techp.org/petition/show/1