Install F8 on USB stick instead of hard disk: problem

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Fri Mar 14 06:50:35 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for experimenting purposes, I installed F8 on a 4GB USB stick
>> (2 partitions: P1 for "/" with ext3/3 GB, and P2: swap), and not on HD.
>>
>> The installation was performed without problem, after install I could
>> reboot,
>> the grub boot prompt appeared, I could select my os, but then grub
>> said: error 15 (file not found).
>>
>> May it be that P1 should be formatted as fat16?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Joachim Backes
>>
> The problem is probably with the BIOS mapping of the drive

Hi Mikkel,

exactly this was the problem: I changed (hd2,0) into (hd0,0) in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
After this, F8 booted from my USB stick, and grub did not complain about missing files.

(Had nothing to do with the FS type of / on the boot stick - it is ext3 formatted).

I think, this installation could be an alternative for a Live CD.

Many thanks for your advice.

Regards

Joachim Backes

When you

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],