Anyone know of good Linux GPS driving map software?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at
Fri Mar 14 12:10:43 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008, pursley1 at wrote:
>I am looking for advice, as part of my migration from Windows, to find a
>good replacement for my Delorme Street Atlas program, which only runs in
>Windows.  Even though I would prefer to get free open source software,
>due to the dependability I need it to have, I am not ruling out
>purchasing commercial software for Linux if it needs be.  It is for my
>laptop computer for when we need to make road trips.  I have tried a
>number of software packages including Navit and others, which crash
>easily and a lot, but have yet to find one that even has half the
>stability I need.  Any suggestions?

google for roadnav, I used it just a few months ago for a 3000 mile trip with
the lappy riding in the shotgun seat hooked to my now elderly garmin 12 gps.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You are a fluke of the universe; you have no right to be here.