Anyone know of good Linux GPS driving map software?

Beartooth Sciurivore beartooth at swva.net
Fri Mar 14 13:01:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:10:43 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 14 March 2008, pursley1 at netscape.net wrote:
>>I am looking for advice, as part of my migration from Windows, to find a
>>good replacement for my Delorme Street Atlas program, which only runs in
>>Windows.  [....]
>
> google for roadnav, I used it just a few months ago for a 3000 mile trip
> with the lappy riding in the shotgun seat hooked to my now elderly
> garmin 12 gps.

	If you are technoid enough to run it (as Gene is, and I'm not),
roadnav is a good app; I've been trying for ten years to find either an
app that I can, or an emulator that can run Delorme, Garmin, and Maptech
software *and* make them talk to a GPS.

	I tried long and hard a couple years back with CrossOverOffice
(CXO); and got to where it would launch and run Garmin, Maptech, and
Topo.com (but not Delorme) -- and couldn't enable any of them to talk to
any of my GPSs. Maybe you'd have better luck now.

	One of the machines on my desk has a second hard drive that I can
boot to XP when I want to bad enough; I'm in process of looking for a
sturdy laptop with XP still on it for the car.

	The list for CXO is carried on Gmane; the one for roadnav (which
is quite helpful, and not too busy) has its subscription site at :