Copying a Hard Disk Containing Windows With Fedora

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Mar 14 20:11:15 UTC 2008

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>      Dear friends,
>
>   I need to copy the hard disk of a Windows computer to a new hard
> disk of equal size. I was thinking of connecting both drives
> (SATA/150), booting from the Fedora 8 Rescue Disk and then do
>
>   dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
>
>   in hope that after that, the second hard disk can be used in place
> of the first one (including booting Windows, of course).
>
>   Does this work? Thanks!

If the drives are not totally identical, I believe that you want to
create a partition on the destination of the same type and size, make it
active and then copy the partition (with dd as you proposed). There was
a reason for doing it that way, but I have no idea what it is/was years
after learning that the hard way.

If you have an identical drive just do what you wanted, it should work.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>