GIMP can not do it

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:34:27 UTC 2008

2008/3/14 elk dolk <elkdolk at yahoo.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some 600x450 pixel photos and want to reduce their size  to 60K and
> keep the aspect ratio, GIMP can't do it , anyone know of a Linux photo
> manipulation SW for batch processing photos?

I do not know of a way to reduce with the goal of changing the file
size.  I can tell you how to batch convert files to a particular
resolution.  Save this batch program and run to change images to 600
pixels wide jpeg quality 85.  It will take all files you list on the
command line.

#!/bin/bash

for input in $@
do
  base=`echo $input | sed 's/\(.*\)\..*$/\1/'`
  ##  echo "SUF" $SUF "base" $base
  suffix="600.jpg"
  /usr/bin/convert $input -resize 600x -quality 85 $base$suffix

done

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science