Bug backlog - now and future. Some proposals.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 15 00:41:41 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:

> Personally i think the release cycle is to short. Can someone explain to me
> why a new version has to come out every six or seven months? Shouldn't there
> be a long term release? I actually don't mind that much but i always
> wondered about that, it has got to a major pain in the ass or maybe not but
> i'd still like to hear the reasoning behind it.

In order to advance progress for the releases a short life cycle is
needed to ensure programs do not remain static and outdated.
Some of the refined programs that change just for the sake of change are
annoying but overall the short cycles are just fine if you want some
reprieve from the development cycle. You have about a year for each
release support expires which sounds like plenty of time to move up
release cycles.

I prefer the constantly moving rawhide so I do not find release cycles
as that important. I am one release back on a server installation but
Fedora 8 and its upgrade limitations discouraged me from bothering with
making a dvd and upgrading.

Jim

--
Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.