Network Problems after recent upgrades - 2.6.24 kernel?

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Sat Mar 15 05:07:30 UTC 2008

la, 2008-03-15 kello 12:02 +1000, Brian Chadwick kirjoitti:
> Peter J. Stieber wrote:
> > PS = Peter Stieber

> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > RD> join the club.  just back off to the earlier
> > RD> kernel and stay there until things sort
> > RD> themselves out.
> >
> > I am running the prior kernel, but one of the adapters is still not
> > working when I booted the prior kernel.  I was asking for help with
> > that problem.  Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> rename ifcfg-ethx.bak to ifcfg.ethx, then "service network restart"

The GUI approach is to go to System->Administration->Network and edit
the nicknames of NICs. In my case I changed "eth0.bak" to "lan" and
"eth1.bak" to "wan" because my eth0 card is connected to local network
and eth1 card to the Internet.

It looks like kernel 2.6.24.3-12.fc8 either named ifcfg-ethx in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to ifcfg-ethx.bak - and refused to
activate anything ".bak" at boot - or just erroneously tries to use
nicknames of NICs instead of the usual ifcfg-ethx files.

In any case, my both network cards now get activated at boot which was
not the case after updating to 2.6.24.3-12.fc8 -kernel.

Now, if only the GUI would show the proper card in "Physical device" tab
instead of showing them interchanged - but that's another story.

BR, Antti