Network Problems after recent upgrades - 2.6.24 kernel?

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Sat Mar 15 15:05:28 UTC 2008

la, 2008-03-15 kello 13:35 +0000, Timothy Murphy kirjoitti:
> Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
>
> > The GUI approach is to go to System->Administration->Network and edit
> > the nicknames of NICs. In my case I changed "eth0.bak" to "lan" and
> > "eth1.bak" to "wan" because my eth0 card is connected to local network
> > and eth1 card to the Internet.
>
> As a matter of interest, where did you read that you could make
> changes like this?
Absolutely nowhere. Realizing I had lost network connections right after
updating the kernel and rebooting I went to System->Admin->Network to
see what was wrong. The eth1 interface was passive and to my relief it
could be activated by just taking it into use.
After a couple of reboots a couple of days later I started to wonder why
I needed to activate the card each time I rebooted, and started looking
at details at graphical boot. The box didn't even try to activate eth1
connection and naturally I wondered why.

> Or was it just by experiment?

Yes. Noting that the GUI window stated my eth1 nickname was eth1.bak
although I don't remember having seen that nickname before, I just
started experimenting. First nicknaming eth0 to "lan" brought eth0
connection to life at next boot, and then eth1 to "wan" brought internet
connection to life at the next.
Afterwards I realized there were no ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1 files
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. They apparently had been named to
"ethx.bak" by new kernel or one of the updated packages with it.

Antti