OT: mp3 xmms

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Mar 15 20:54:19 UTC 2008

Andreas M. Kirchwitz wrote:

> Nowadays, Audacious goes the same way as all other players. Most
> development goes into a cool-looking the user interface, but little
> into bug fixes and optimization (stability, speed, resources).
>
> As long as Fedora still ships with GTK1 stuff, I stay with XMMS. ;-)
> Haven't yet decided what to do if XMMS won't compile or gets
> incompatible with newer kernels, audio subsystems or libraries.
>
> 	Suggestions welcome! Andreas

The time may be here, I was looking to install xmms codecs and after
finding that fedora fc8 and livna were not playing well with others,
went to built from source and found that the xmms.org site is dead. It
has been down now for some days, so I think the db.xmms.org machine died
and no one cares. Hopefully I can get the source elsewhere, but it's too
bad, there doesn't seem to be an alternative application.

There is an xmms rpm from fedora, but it seems doa, it told me it needed
illegal codexs for everything, including wav files, ogg, mp3, wma, etc.
I guess wav is probably claimed by MSFT, but ogg?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>