Evolution (again)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Mar 17 14:45:59 UTC 2008

On Monday 17 March 2008, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 14:48 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

>> > Well, you do have Gnome (and its control-center) installed then.
>> > Menus get polluted when you install multiple desktops, you need to deal
>> > with that.
>> > What you did was simply what the previous poster suggested.
>>
>> Why configure KDE with a Gnome app??
>
>You're not configuring KDE. FF is packaged as a Gnome app, so it
>interacts with the Gconf stuff (Gnome's equivalent of the Windows
>Registry), meaning you configure its properties from the Gnome control
>panel (if using Gnome) or equivalently gnome-control-center (or
>gconf-editor if you want to get down to the details). Same goes for
>Evolution BTW.
>
>OT: as a KDE user of many years standing, it still annoys me that KDE is
>a second-class citizen in Fedora. Sure it's supported, but essentially
>all the Fedora documentation assumes that you're using Gnome. Thus when
>discussing Network Manager for example, we're recommended to use
>nm-applet, which only works if you're running the Gnome desktop.

So we've noted, and have objected strenuously to in the past if you check the
archives.  Even Linus has panned gnome heartily and runs kde.  Fedora
emasculates kde, claiming legal problems or some such pablum, but IMO its
really so gnome will look better.  The proof to me?  Back at FC2, I got tired
of that, and built kde using the 'konstruct' system.  Wow!  Everything
worked, bulletproof stability.  But running yum was dangerous because you
never knew when some yum dependency was going to over write the home grown
stuff.  And yum did eventually destroy the system, but I ran it till FC6 was
out.

I'd still be running FC6 if something hadn't wiped LSN0 on the drive, that
sorta forces one to re-install.  Thanks to amanda, it was not a total
disaster & life goes on.

Thanks, poc.

--
Cheers, Gene