MirrorManager Internet2 preferences

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Mar 17 18:23:53 UTC 2008

With thanks to Ken Tossell for some critical information,
MirrorManager now tries to direct Internet2/GEANET2/NLR/... clients to
servers.  (note, when I say "Internet2" here, I mean Internet2 and all
the major networks that peer directly with Internet2.)

Basically, the lookup order now is:

1) If Hosts set netblocks, clients in those netblocks get those Hosts
   first (no change)

2) If Hosts set the new "Internet2" checkbox, clients on I2 in the
   same country as the Host get those Hosts next.  If client isn't on
   I2, no difference.

3) rest of the Hosts in the same country (no change)

4) rest of the Hosts in the same continent (no change)

5) rest of the Hosts in the global list (no change)

I've implemented these lookups in MirrorManager now, and that's live.
Each Host page now has two new checkboxes:

Internet2: check if host is on Internet2 or a peer of I2.  I ran a
tool to update all the hosts in the database against the latest list
of I2 netblocks, so we're good for now.

Internet2_clients: check to serve content to any I2 client even if the
site is marked "private".  This will let I2 servers serve I2 clients
without entering all 8000 I2 netblocks for their site. :-)  I haven't
set this for anyone.  If you want it, you can set it yourself.

It turns out that because I2 peers with several fast networks in other
geographies, roughly half of the listed mirrors are available over
I2.  I2 networks/peers account for ~5% of the total IPv4 address space.

Let see how well this works... :-)

Thanks,
Matt

--