wireless/gnome

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 18 02:33:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 20:29 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm unintentionally obtuse.
> What is this signal strength 98% of?

98% of the signal that it wants, the one that it received from the
access point that you're interfacing with...  The received radio signal
power, rather obviously.  It is a "wireless" LAN that you're talking
about.

You won't get a reading all the time, because the access point doesn't
transmit all the time.  It transmits in response to things accessing it,
and ought to periodically transmit (broadcast) its SSID.  Your reception
meter is going to give you an average reading.

As to how it knows what's 100% to work out a scale of values for less
than 100%, that could be as simple as taking a voltage out of the
receiver circuitry, knowing what the absolute maximum the circuit design
is going to produce, and using that as the full scale reading.

Haven't you ever used a FM radio with a signal strength meter?

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.