Dislin breaks 37 libraries on Fedora 8

Joseph Thames beartham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:43:28 UTC 2008

Yesterday I installed the Dislin-9.2-1 Linux rpm along with openmotif
2.2.3.10.fc4.2 and xorg-X11-libs 6.8.1-12.fc3.1, which it requires.  When I
tried to link it, I got a message that libXm.so.3 was missing. This should
have been installed with openmotif, but apparently wasn't.

In trying to resolve this issue, I brought up the Synaptic package manager,
and it said that 37 packages had been broken. To fix the broken packages, it
wanted to remove the 3 packages I just installed. The broken packages are:

libdmx, libfontenc, libICE, libSM, libX11, llibXau, libXaw, libXcomposite,
libXcursor, libXdamage, libXdmcp, libXevie, libXext, libXfixes, libXfont,
libXfontcache, libXft, libxi, libxi, libXinerama, libXinerama, libxkbfile,
libXmu, libXpm, libXandr, libXrender, libXres, libXScmSaver, libXt,
libXTrap, libxtst, libXv, libXvMC, libXxf86dga, libXxf86misc, libXxf86vm,
mesa-libGL,  and mesa-libGLU

This is a big show-stopper for me. I am in the process of porting a major
application system from SUSE 9.0 and G77 to Fedora 8 and Gfortran. I am not
interested in all the new features that these broken libraries support
(whatever they are). I just want to be able to demo this application to my
client in 3 weeks.

Please advise a course of action.

--
Joseph 'Bear' Thames