Dislin breaks 37 libraries on Fedora 8

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Mar 19 17:55:30 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:43:28 -0600
> "Joseph Thames" <beartham at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Yesterday I installed the Dislin-9.2-1 Linux rpm along with openmotif
>> 2.2.3.10.fc4.2 and xorg-X11-libs 6.8.1-12.fc3.1, which it requires.
>>

> You installed a Fedora 3 X library on a Fedora 8 box ? Yes that would
> make a mess. Put the Fedora 8 X libraries it lists as broken back and your
> machine should be well again. I'm suprised it was possible as yum should
> have spotted any clashing files.
>
> Fedora doesn't, as you've noticed, include openmotif just lesstif. You
> can either build OpenMotif yourself against a modern X library set or
> build the app against lesstif. We don't include OpenMotif because it is
> non-free software and in addition has some really peculiar licencing
> interactions (eg you can't use it with the binary Nvidia drivers as it
> may only be used with an "Open Source Operating System")

Installing lesstif is a waste of time. Its a useless piece of junk, and
people like RedHat and other distribution vendors are to blame. It was
moving alone nicely until they decided OpenMotif was good. By the time
they decided it was bad people had given up working on lesstif. Maybe it
was all a big plot to kill off the motif world completely. Whatever the
cause, it now means using Grace, Nedit and a few other favourites is a
right PITA with Fedora.

Steve