FC8, lost sound

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 23:47:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 19:10 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
>  > On Sunday 16 March 2008 18:10, max wrote:
>  > > Aaron Konstam wrote:
>  > > > On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 17:52 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>  > > >> Steven Stern wrote:
>  > > >>> Hash: SHA1
>  > > >>>
>  > > >>> On 03/14/2008 09:23 PM, David Timms wrote:
>  > > >>> | Steven Stern wrote:
>  > > >>> |> In any case, system-config-soundcard sees the SB Audigy card, but
>  > > >>> |> nothing comes out.  When I boot into Windows, it's happy.
>  > > >>> |
>  > > >>> | = hardware OK,, software problem.
>  > > >>> | Maybe you could post the
>  > > >>> | /root/scsconfig.log
>  > > >>> |
>  > > >>> | Are modules getting loaded: lsmod|grep sn
>  > > >>> |
>  > > >>> | Did you see the s-c-soundcard System tab it has some functions to
>  > > >>> | redetect and so-on...
>  > > >>> |
>  > > >>> |> On the same day, a bunch of packages were installed, including hal.
>  > > >>> |> Is there some way I can "clean" the system of what it knows about
>  > > >>> |> the current sound card and let it rediscover it from scratch?
>  > > >>> |
>  > > >>> | Post the yum changes since the last time that sound was working from
>  > > >>> | /var/log/yum?.log
>  > > >>> |
>  > > >>> | That might indicate what has changed.
>  > > >>> |
>  > > >>> | DaveT.
>  > > >>>
>  > > >>> I get sound when booting from the F8 Live CD, so *something's* changed.
>  > > >>> ~ The scsconfig.log file is attached.
>  > > >>
>  > > >> cat /proc/asound/cards and see if somehow it's still finding another
>  > > >> card. What does alsamixer show for output devices?
>  > > >
>  > > > Omce again. alsamixer does not work if pulseaudio is active.
>  > > > --
>  > > > =======================================================================
>  > > > No matter who you are, some scholar can show you the great idea you had
>  > > > was had by someone before you.
>  > > > =======================================================================
>  > > > Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net
>  > >
>  > > Check that all the services that should be running are in fact running.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > Max
>  >
>  > Personally, and not wishing to knock Lennart's Pulseaudio, which I'm sure
>  > quite a lot of folks have found usefull. All the same though, I think I'd
>  > temporarily remove the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package, then see if sounds
>  > work as expected.
>  >
> [...]

Just a note to the effect that I now have sound working with
pulseaudio. The trick was to RTFM :-). Specifically, the instructions
in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq (in the section
entitled Fedora 7 -> Fedora 8) where it says:

yum groupinstall sound-and-video gnome-desktop (if you are using Gnome)
yum groupinstall sound-and-video kde-desktop (if you are using KDE)
yum install libflashsupport paman padevchooser

After exiting and restarting the session, this worked.

poc