Blender update bombs

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 10:27:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:36:46 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 11:01 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:56:57 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed the update to blender and when I launch it, either from
> > > command line or from KDE, my desktop folds up like a house of cards,
> > > back to graphical login. ld claimed to not recognize the file structure,
> > > but, upon examination it is a shell script to initially setup the
> > > ~/.blender files. I see nothing in it to start an executable, once done.
> > > blender-bin also blows up from command line and blenderplayer comes up
> > > with a pile of command line options. Has anyone else seen this problem??
> > > Ric
> > >

> > The frequent version upgrades of Fedora packages force users to keep an
> > eye on the updates-testing repository and report any problems with updates
> > in bugzilla [1] and bodhi [2] as soon as possible. One thing still holds
> > true for Fedora: some packages in updates-testing are not tested at all
> > until they are pushed to the stable repository.
>
> I wouldn't touch updates-testing with a 10 foot pole. I don't believe I
> wrote anything about update-testing, as a matter of fact.

That's why *I* did mention updates-testing. You misunderstood me.
Somebody needs to test such updates *before* they are marked stable.
But hardly any users try the test-updates. So, what the user community
can do currently is to give test updates bad karma in the Fedora Updates
System and prevent such updates from being marked stable.

Is this

  F7
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F7/FEDORA-2008-2450

  F8
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-2478

the update you refer to? If so, it spent only three days in
updates-testing before hitting stable without positive feedback
and after a few earlier update attempts:

  F7
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F7/FEDORA-2008-2172
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F7/FEDORA-2008-2279

  F8
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-2170
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-2321

> This was just
> a "yum update blender" action, as I noted in my post. So, that dealt
> with, is there anything I can do further to gather some sort of data
> other than it blows up X?

Downgrade to the last older one that can be found

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/blender-2.44-4.fc7.i386.rpm

and see whether the problem is reproducible.

> I'm not seeing anything related to it
> in /var/log/messages or dmesg or anywhere else through the logs using
> grep. If anyone is familiar with blender, is there something I can add
> to the command to force a debug write to a file?? Then I could post a
> decent bugzilla report. Update got me blender-2.45-10.fc7

That's the one I refer to.

> I'm running fc7 and kernel 2.6.23.15-80.fc7. There is no man page for
> blender, the doc file has no manual other than the python stuff. If
> there is a missing depend, it did not include itself in the update. So,
> I'd rather collect some sort of relevant data first, before a bug
> report. Again, just reporting that it blew up would be, IMHO, lame.

No, it wouldn't be lame to report such a crash and expect the
developers to ask for details.