Mandriva officially supports eee

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 20 14:54:37 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> http://justingill.com/blog/2008/03/18/mandriva-linux-spring-2008-release-on-the-asus-eee-pc/
>
> Interesting article.
>
> I know there is eeedora but that is not an official fedora spin but a
> project maintained by only one eee and fedora user [1]
>
> Does anybody know if there are any plans to support eeedora project
> more officially from Fedora? There are milions of eee sold and
> although xandros has made a nice UI for it the base system has lost of
> issues if users want to install new software (apt-get dependency hell
> because of conflicting xandros, debian, ubuntu and eee repos).

There has been discussions between eeedora maintainer and Fedora people.
Unfortunately eeedora relies on the proprietary madwifi solution for
wireless and distributions that claim to support eee do the same afaik.
The long term solution is replacing the proprietary bits with native
wireless drivers in the upstream Linux kernel. That can take a couple of
revisions and John Linville who is the upstream wireless subsystem
maintainer would know more details. Testing the bleeding edge bits
available in rawhide and providing feedback might help.

http://people.redhat.com/linville/

Rahul