PCMCIA wireless card that "works out of the box"?

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 20 15:37:34 UTC 2008

Tom Freeman wrote:
> On 03/20/2008 10:49:05 AM, Phil Rhoades wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty
>> much
>> given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out
>> of
>> the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
>> NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
>> suggestions about well supported cards.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> I can't offer good advise here - for my pcmcia card I bought and tried
> until I got something that worked. Kind of an expensive method...
>
> As a tangent, however, can a business case be made for Red Hat to
> develop / market a proper open source wireless adapter line? I realize
> that the retail channel hasn't been Red Hat's strongest effort over the
> years, so I will not hold my breath.

The best pcmcia card for Linux is the "Orinoco Gold Card" by Lucent Tech.
Go onto Ebay > Computers and Type in  "Orinoco Gold Card" and you can
pick one up for $10-20 .
Linux Auto detects this card with no hesitation . I use these cards in
my PC's with a PCI to PCMCIA adapter.
To get the right adapter if you go that way is a "Model PCIPC" It has A
Icon of a Texas Instruments on the main chip.