PCMCIA wireless card that "works out of the box"?

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 16:01:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:26:39AM -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2008 10:49, Phil Rhoades wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
> > given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
> > the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
> > NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
> > suggestions about well supported cards.
>
> If you can find an ORINOCO card they work great.  You wan to be sure you have
> one of the original cards either GOLD or SILVER. Check ebay.

YMMV -- I just bought a "Orinoco 11a/b/g Client ComboCard Gold" off
eBay, and internally it is an Atheros device -- one not yet supported
by ath5k.

> Sadly, they are only 802.11b

Perhaps this is a clue if you decide to buy "orinoco".

I've seen this too many times to be comfortable recommending
purchasing any wireless card solely on the basis of its marketing name.
Unfortunately, you usually don't get any other information at retail.
So, buy from a store with a good return policy...

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at redhat.com