OT? Help to compile program - ac_nonexitent.h

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Mar 20 18:05:41 UTC 2008

Robin Laing wrote:
> In the past I just used CheckInstall but that seems to have dropped
> off in support.
>
>  http://checkinstall.izto.org/

That's probably for the best.  Using checkinstall requires you to do
make install as root, right?  That can be problematic unless you've
tested make install as a normal user (using $DESTDIR or a $prefix you
have write access to).  The problem is that sometimes there are errors
in upstream Makefiles or even in the options you might pass to
configure.  Running make install as root could accidentally overwrite
existing (and critical) files on your system.

One of the most important things about building rpms, in my opinion,
is to do the building as a normal user.  This will help you catch such
problems and then correct them -- before they bite you.

> It has been a fun week so far in learning about the different
> programming tools.  Trying to get my old mind back into C
> programming that I learned before there was a Netscape or PPP access
> in our city. Heck, we didn't even have an ISP.  :)
>
> I am learning I have a lot more to learn.  My AVR project is the
> highest priority and this is why I want to get a simulator that
> works.  :)

Happy hacking!

Good judgment comes with experience.  Unfortunately, the experience
usually comes from bad judgment.