NetworkManager Is Driving Me Crazy!

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Mar 20 19:13:44 UTC 2008

When I first set up Fedora 8, I had some problems getting wlan0 (via
ndiswrapper) working. Now I can prevent wlan0 from being activated, even
when I'm using a wired connection via eth0.

I connect wirelessly at home and wired at the office. When I'm in the
office, I have to turn off NetworkManager (using services), kill
wpa_supplicant and nm-applet, and change config-services-network for
wlan0 so it's not being controlled by NetworkManager. This lets me
activate and use eth0. This works fine for about 30-60 minutes and then
wlan0 gets activated and screws up accessing the network. Then I have to
deactivate wlan0 and eth0, and re-activate eth0 so I can use the network
again. I have to do this over and over.

I have no clue as to why wlan0 is being activated with eth0 already
being activated and I don't know what program is causing this to happen.
I suspect it's something to do with NetworkManager because I never had
this problem before using NM. But I don't know for sure.

How can I prevent wlan0 from being activated???

Rick B.