NetworkManager Is Driving Me Crazy!

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Mar 20 23:31:57 UTC 2008

Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 02:37 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think NM supports static addresses yet but soon.
>>> --
>> It has partial support in Rawhide. If you create static networks with
>> system-config-network, NM will honor them. It hasn't grown a UI to
>> create a new one from scratch but that is planned.
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
> can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
> screwing up my static network connection? nm-applet USED TO HAVE a
> button for a wired network under Fedora 6 and my wireless and wired
> connections worked together without any problem. Under Fedora 8, the
> wired connection disappeared, reappeared briefly, and now is gone again.
> Why are we going backwards?

Make sure you have "ONBOOT=no" in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -