How to fix two disks with the same Volume Group?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 21 02:18:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 20:58 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> You don't think setting it to the machine name is any good?

Well, if you change drives in the same machine, that rule still leaves
you with two like-named volume groups.  You want different names per
drive, so that they don't clash when both are connected to the same box.

Personally, I take the approach of physically naming the drives, as well
as the software label.  I write a name on them with texta, and add that
as a prefix or suffix to volume labels.  e.g. "fred-boot"  That way I
can tell what's what, in or out of the box.  That's especially handy if
you have otherwise identical drive models.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.