tweaking printouts

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at
Fri Mar 21 12:38:56 UTC 2008

>> I tried to change the margins on printouts (Admin > Printing, 'job
>> options' tab) - but they apparently didn't help the situation.
>> When I print simple text documents from gedit, the top and bottom
>> margins are bigger than I need. Does gedit do this on its own? I can't
>> find anything in its prefs to config the print margins.
>> Or, is there some other way to adjust print margins?
>> Btw, I'd consider another text editor.
> One thing that may help is to File --> Page Setup --> General and
> uncheck Print page headers. I know it did for me when I did not set any
> page headers.

Already knew about that. The issue for me is that there is wasted space.

>> Or, is there some other way to adjust print margins?
> Fanatical print margin tweakers may want to check out
> my web page at:

I did this - didn't change anything for gedit.  :(

gedit is apparently hard-coded to use certain margins.

>> > I think it would be just peachy if a system wide print margin setting
>> > could be set and the apps all used it. Real peachy. Ric
> lpoptions

I checked this out - it actually put a new twist on things for me. It
didn't occur to me that I could use a terminal command to print!

So, when I need to tweak my printouts, I'll probably use lp.