FC8, lost sound

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Fri Mar 21 23:59:01 UTC 2008

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq (in the section
> entitled Fedora 7 -> Fedora 8) where it says:
>
> yum groupinstall sound-and-video gnome-desktop (if you are using Gnome)
> yum groupinstall sound-and-video kde-desktop (if you are using KDE)
> yum install libflashsupport paman padevchooser

So what are those of us not using Gnome or KDE supposed to do?

If I try running any Gnome sound apps I get my desktop background
reset, followed by a hang in a few minutes when gnome-screensaver
takes on my xscreensaver and locks up X.  Kaffeine worked for a while
when run as root, but now it just crashes.

If sound doesn't work in Fedora 9 I'll be switching to some
distribution where it does work.  I don't have time to waste trying
apparently random suggestions involving half a dozen daemons, security
and module configuration files, and package installs and uninstalls
-- some of which swap functionality between Flash and music players,
some of which work for a while and then stop working.

Danny.